pieterh wrote on 10 Nov 2009 15:16 (Sticky)
This is the design section for new and changed features in Wikidot.
- Use the Whiteboard Area for all speculation, concepts, and raw designs. Do not start new designs directly in the design section. Only mature, peer-reviewed designs should move to the design section.
- Designs are closed when implemented.
- Designs should where possible look like documentation for the final feature.
- Please do not discuss on design threads directly but start subthreads for different aspects of designs, and close subthreads when they are done.
Here is how to design new functionality:
- Explain what you are trying to do, in high level terms (not in terms of code)
- Explain what functionality you used
- Explain why that did not do what you wanted (specific failures or issues)
- Allow the other party to respond - (a) do it differently or (b) need a change
- In case of (b), allow the other party to propose the change
- Review the change proposal, which becomes a soft contract
- Hope the work happens rapidly… :-)
- When it's ready, review the change and use it
- Confirm that you can now do what you want to achieve
Here is how not to design new functionality:
- Describe some feature and then explain why it's great.
Start a new sub-thread
page revision: 6, last edited: 23 Dec 2009 16:09